Stay On the Go with Student Travel Insurance
Whether you're traveling by plane, train, bus or ship, student travel insurance protects you from emergencies when you are away from home. There are many places you can go while you are in college, and that includes studying abroad in another country. Studying abroad offers you a chance to experience another culture's education system, as well as to indulge in its customs, food and entertainment practices. But you don't have to leave the country to travel. You might also want to go on a cruise for spring break, or fly to your family's home for the holidays.
Need a loan for college? Get all the information on student loans you need.
Get the straight facts on credit cards for students
Never have more options for funding been available, but their benefits and availability vary widely
The Basics of Student Travel Insurance
After researching various travel insurance companies and reading customer comments, make sure the student travel insurance has these main features:
- Travel Interruption - If you become ill or you need to return home become of a family medical emergency, the company will compensate you for the unused part of your trip.
- Lost Baggage Coverage - You will be reimbursed the cost of your personal items if your baggage is lost.
- Personal Liability - If you cause injury or death to a third party, the insurance plan will cover their medical expenses.
- Travel Cancellation - If you have to cancel the trip due to a personal or family illness, then you will be reimbursed the money you spent.- If you have to cancel the trip due to a personal or family illness, then you will be reimbursed the money you spent.
- Flight Delay - The company will cover your expenses if you have a flight delay that lasts a long time or causes you to stay overnight at a hotel.
- Emergency/Medical Service - If you have to be hospitalized while you are traveling, you will be insured for the medical costs, including transportation.
- Accidental Death/Injury - You will be covered for the cost of permanent or temporary disablement or accidental death.
The Importance of Student Travel Insurance
So why is student travel insurance so important? Here are a few scenarios that could happen to you while you are traveling that you may not be prepared for:
- You're completely packed for your trip, but you get sick the day before you leave and your doctor says you should not travel. Travel insurance will reimburse you the money you already spent for the trip
- You're in France for an exchange program, but your mother gets sick and is put in the hospital. Travel insurance will pay for a one-way ticket home.
- Bad weather forces you to stay the night in a foreign hotel. Travel insurance will cover meals and accommodations for your stay.
- You break your leg while running with the bulls in Spain, and you need medical transportation and assistance. Travel insurance will cover the bill.
- There is a high terrorist alert in the country you were planning to visit or are visiting. Travel insurance allows you to cancel your trip completely or return home immediately.
- Your luggage is lost for a couple of hours, or forever. Travel insurance covers the expense of your missing items.
You can have your entire trip planned out, but a sudden slip or wrong turn can have you in stitches and up to your knees in medical bills. And that's not fun if you already have a low checking account and unpaid credit card bills. But if you find a low cost insurance plan for traveling that fits into your student budget, then you can be covered for any unwanted accidents and save money at the same time. You will also feel more protected while you're in a foreign country
Always check to see if the student travel insurance plan offers low cost insurance and student travel discounts. If you get these two together, then you can save a lot of money on your entire trip. Then that will make your total student budget an affordable one that you can maintain throughout your college career.